Sunday 26 June 2011

{Girl Behind The Lens} Journey Into Photography...Part 2

So I left you on the last proper {Girl Behind The Lens} post about the start of my Journey into photography, and how starting my Career as an Assistant Manager, and the circumstances which surrounded it kicked my career into Photography…

I remember going for the interview for the Assistant Manager Job a glorious day and I took a wrong direction. Ended up going back to the place I found after my interview. Gorgeous rapeseed field, with white fluffy clouds and beautiful blue sky….that was May and I found out that day that I had the job.

Not that long after my Boyfriend (at the time) decided that we should go back to being friends…I didn’t let it phase me. I continued being interested in photography and finding out more and more within my new job and fitting in.

In the August the (Ex) Boyfriend and I had a major argument, then my Dad had a heart attack and in the process of all this I purchased the Pentax K10D. We ended up having a coach holiday to Ireland, which was beautiful - but didn’t really replace the Med Cruise Mum, Dad and I were meant to be going on.

One of my favourite images taken in Ireland

After our trip I joined the local Camera Club and entered some images on the night, including one that placed 18th out of 36 images. Not bad for a picture that was taken during a moving bus ride through the window with a point and shoot camera...


The Competition Image

From this I ended as a Second Shooter, and I have to say I enjoyed my time as a Second Shooter and learnt lots about Studio work etc too. My Work Colleagues kept saying I was wasted in my job.
On 21st June 2008 - my last day as Assistant Manager, and I got a part time job to focus more on the second shooting opportunities for the more you work at it the more you get out of it.

My First Portrait Session with a Colleagues Grandchild. December 2007.

This continued, and I shot Weddings, and lots of people and portraits in the studio, finding my style, my creativity and what I wanted to become as a photographer. Not always agreeing with people (and I will argue where needed!) and then it eventually became the big decision to go on my own…
This image caused discussion at the Camera Club as they believed I should have airbrushed out the dark crease on the childs head. a SEVEN WEEK OLD BABY. I argued that the reason women had such a distorted views on themselves was because some men were so flippant with the need to be "perfect"

The decision wasn’t because I didn’t like the person I was second shooting for. Wasn’t because I didn’t like my job. Wasn’t because I doubted myself…it was because I was beginning to hate it. I felt like I wasn’t allowed to shoot how I wanted to shoot (as a second shooter I know you cant!) and then I had a couple of friends getting married in 2010 who wanted me to photograph their wedding.

The HDR Phase. I never could do it "just a bit" but it worked really well for this shot at Leeds.
You Can't See Me!

The last Wedding I photographed as a second shooter was September 2009. The first Wedding Fayre I did was October 2009 and my first Wedding in October 2009...and then the journey really began.

One of my favourite idea shots. I had this idea in my head with Andi's Triquetra and went down to take the photograph
I have the unedited version too if anyone is interested in seeing it.