Wednesday 8 June 2011

{Girl Behind The Lens} Copying Vs Inspiration



Whilst I know that this blog is really about learning more about me and my business today I’m going to write a little post on what really irks me with the industry, and life in general.

I don’t know whether it’s the social media and people trying to make their feelings known to other business’ but there is a big deal at the minute of things being copied, and everyone is copying something of someone’s.
If this was an issue, then surely Pizza Hut and Pizza Express for instance were in trouble - I mean surely the business models are different but the outcome is the same - they both sell and make pizza!

But anyway, this post isn’t about pizza’s its about what it stands for.

To see someone do something and for you to think “I could do that” is inspiration. For you then to go and do that, and put your own spin on it - is to some people copying. Its not though is it? And then people think “this person is going to drive me out of business” and for why? Because they’re underselling you? No..

People sell things, and generally they either like them or they don’t. They either like the price or they don’t. If you are looking for something specific, and it’s a unique product and you only know one company that sells it - you have no choice.

James is currently looking to purchase a house and the estate agent has been terrible - however, we really like the house so we have no choice.

When I was buying my car, I went to several different people. I knew what I was looking for it was just finding the right thing for the right price.

Look how many famous artists have been “copied” and a lot very successfully. But a real piece of art will go for millions more.

What I’m getting at is unless things are patented or copyrighted you really don’t have a leg to stand on and cannot complain about being copied.

Now the copying I’m not talking about is ripping off websites word for word and stealing pictures. I’m talking crafts and people doing similar things. People could have done what you do for years, but never had the presence. People may think “that’s so unique” - people will use different products, wont spend as much on marketing, and therefore wont charge as much - its like pricing in any industry. So they’re then not copying you AND undercutting you to steal your business - they’re just doing it for them.

I looked at purchasing some gorgeous things for my friends baby, and in the end I took inspiration and made him something myself. Now - this would be seen as “copying” to some people - and its not. I took time, effort, and did it my own way. If people then get in touch and see it and want something similar I’ll do some more. I’m even thinking of doing craft fayres locally that are “cheap” but just to give me something different - am I copying? No…its just a sideline - and something that people wont have seen much around here. Will I be undercutting? Probably…because It’s then a side of the business - and not the bread and butter it’s an “option” and a “hobby”. Will it take off? Who knows…am I worried? No - because its an option not the main part of my business.

Its like photography, there are a lot of us about. We all do same/similar things. Some people complain that there are too many and its driving down the cost of the business in what we do. I’ve been going 18months and put my prices up. Twice. I price myself on a structure that works for me, that brides relate to. I’ve spoke to other people and its not worked for them. It works for me. Am I undercutting people? Some yes. But in a way not…

What I’m trying to say is if you worry too much about what is happening out there, then you’re wasting energy. If you’re a damn good business, then you’ll make it if you have the determination, and the ones that’s “copying you” will either do well, or you wont hear from them in 6months time…stick to what you do - make you your own unique selling point and no one can copy or compete with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment